Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Mending What's Broken- Part 2"

"And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in." Isaiah 58:12

Yesterday we talked about God specializing in repairing that which is broken. He is the healer, He is the mender, He is the repairer, but He has also commissioned us to be His hands extended to repair what is broken.

We live in a world that is "broken". People all around us- on our jobs, in our families, in our schools, in the market place- have broken lives that need to be put back together again. You don't have to go very far before you see a broken life. You don't have to go very far to find someone who has a shattered life. You don't have to go very far to find someone who is hurting. May I ask you a question this morning? What are you doing about those that you come in contact with who are broken?

A while back my grand daughter was with me at my mother in law's home and she broke a little tea cup that was sitting on the table. My mother in law gave it to me to bring home and repair. That was over a month ago. Do you know where the broken tea cup is? Still broken. Sitting in my office, awaiting repair. As a matter of fact, I have looked at it numerous times. I have picked it up and thought about repairing it. I have even moved its pieces on several occasions to another spot because it was in my way at the moment. For some reason I haven't made the effort to repair it. For some reason when I think about doing it, it is inconvenient to do so.

Back to my question. What are you doing about those that you come in contact with who are broken? Are you doing the same thing I am doing with the broken tea cup? Are you just looking at them but not offering help in getting their lives put back together- like the priest and the Levite who saw the man who was left for dead on the Jericho Road? Are you "ignoring" them because you are unwilling to "get involved" because of what it might cost you, because it is inconvenient, because you just don't want to take the time, because you don't see it as important or because you have other priorities? What might your reason be? What if Jesus had used the same excuses and not gone to the cross? Where would our lives be? Still broken with no hope of repair.

We aren't the ones who bring the healing- only Jesus can do that- but we are the ones who are to reach down, pick them up and pour in the oil and the wine like the Good Samaritan did. If we aren't reaching out to the broken, then who is going to take them to Jesus so that He can bring healing and repair their broken lives?

Have a great day. Jesus' part is to heal them, our part is to bring them to Him so He can.

For further reading:
John 13:15
Luke 10:30-37

No comments: