"For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us." 2 Corinthians 1:20
When a person makes us a promise, we expect him to keep it. Usually, we have no doubt that they won't. So, I ask you, "Why do we act differently concerning the promises of God?". If we can believe a person who has no control over circumstances that might hinder him from keeping his promise to do what he says he'll do, why do we find it so hard to believe that God- who does have control and can remove obstacles and hindrances- will keep the promises He has made to us?
"God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us." (Hebrews 6:17,18- NLT) The difference in man's promises and God's promises is:
1) Man doesn't always have the means, or resources, to fulfill his promise; God does.
2) Man has no control over factors that might hinder him from fulfilling it; God is in total control.
3) Man is limited in his ability; God is unlimited.
4) Man isn't always faithful; God is always faithful.
5) Man has good intentions but not always able to fulfill them; God's intentions always come to pass.
6) Man can lie; God cannot.
7) God holds Himself accountable to do what He has promised; man will often excuse himself from his obligation to fulfill his promise.
8) Men makes promises to appease, knowing they can't fulfill them; God never appeases anyone.
9) Man sometimes forgets that he made a promise; God never forgets!
So why do we find it easier to believe people than we do to believe God?
It's because of WHO God is that we can trust Him to do exactly what He said He would do and keep His promises to us. He is NOT a man, and He is NOT like man. He is God who is able, who is trustworthy, who is faithful, who cannot lie, who will uphold His word even above His own name. If we can trust people to keep their word to us, how much more should we be trusting God to keep His.
Have a great day. God is a promise keeper... so why aren't we trusting Him to keep His promises?
For further reading:
2 Peter 1:4