Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"They Come And Go"

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." James 4:14

During our first year of marriage we lived in a rental house in a small community about fifteen miles from here. We decided to purchase a mobile home instead of continuing to pay rent and put it on my dad's property. In order to reach the spot where we set up the mobile home we had to build a rather long gravel driveway. This morning I was thinking about that first year that we lived here in that mobile home- today reminded me of it. (It's been overcast and rainy here for the last few days- it's raining today.) That first year was awful. It rained almost everyday for what seemed like an eternity. When it wasn't raining, it was overcast and dreary. I can't remember seeing the sun at all for weeks and weeks. I was cooped up in my little home for days without in. Leaving was a challenge that was almost impossible to win- I don't think I have to tell you what rain does (and lots of it) to a freshly poured gravel driveway.

That first year is one I will never forget. Rainy, dreary, overcast, cloudy, challenges in leaving my home, if I did try to go out I would bog down in the gravel and be stuck. As I am remembering this time in my life, I am remembering that it is only a "memory". It's past. Even though I thought I would never see the sun again, I did. It did shine again. My situation did not remain that way forever. In the years to come there were more days filled with sun than with gloom and clouds. And those days are now years behind me.

I told you that little story to let you know that your days may be cloudy and dreary, you may think that the sun will never shine again, you may feel like you are a prisoner to you situation, you may feel that making any sort of a move places challenges on you that you don't seem to be able to overcome. (I am not just talking about your physical condition- you know what I mean.) But I want to tell you it won't always be like this. You will see the sun again, it won't last forever. I am sure Job thought that he would never see the light of day again, but he did. Take heart. The rain comes and it goes. The sun comes and it goes. Clouds come and go. That's the key- they come and they go.

Have a great day. Current situations don't last forever- even if they feel like they do. They come and go.

No comments: