Wednesday, December 13, 2023

"Whose Plans?"

"For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." James 4:15

Well, I learned firsthand why the Bible tells us not to take thought for tomorrow and to say if the Lord wills we will do this or that. I had big plans yesterday. It was one of those rare days when I had the whole day home by myself. BUT, during the middle of the night, a light pole decided to fall and knocked out my electricity and everyone else's in the surrounding area -including my dad's. (The light company was wonderful and worked all night and through the next day until they got the pole replaced, the transformers changed out and power restored.) My dad is my neighbor, so I had been keeping him updated with the progress. My power came back on fairly early and so did my neighbors, but not his. I had a "vision" earlier about the pole falling and pulling the wires off his meter base because the pole was near his house. Guess what? You guessed it. That is exactly what happened!

I spent the entire day helping him get his power restored. I called the light company, his insurance company and the electrician. I also talked with all the dozens of people who were working around his yard getting things back in order.  His power was finally restored late in the afternoon. 

I tell you all this because that though we make plans, it doesn't mean that they might not get changed. We need to be "flexible" and trust God with our plans, our days and our time. Evidently, my plan was my plan. God's plan for me was to help my dad. God knew this pole was going to fall. He knew the outcome. So, He cleared everything off my calendar ahead of time so I could be where He wanted me to be. 

The thing is, we don't need to be so attached to our plans that we can't be available when God wants us somewhere else or doing something else. Also, we should never let the fact that our plans got changed to make us get frustrated, angry, upset and complaining. How do you handle a change of plans? What type of attitude do you have when things don't go according to your plans? Do you plan but yet say, "If the Lord wills I will do this"? God has plans, we have plans. We need to be able to let God interrupt our plans if He wants to.

Have a great day. I have plans, but God may have other plans.    

For further reading: Matthew 6:34

 

No comments: