Thursday, December 8, 2022

"Turn Around And Go Back"

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." James 4:8 

I remember a time when my granddaughter was four years old, that I took her shopping and while we were walking through the stores, she decided that she would walk ahead of me. The closer I tried to get to her, the faster and further away from me she would go. At one point I decided to step behind some clothes out of her view-- but of course, I could still see her. She turned around and discovered that I wasn't there. She panicked, started calling my name and turned around running back to the spot where she had last seen me. I then stepped out from my "hiding place", hugged her and talked to her about staying close to me. 
 
We often do the same thing with our Heavenly Father-- run away from Him, put some distance between us, and leave Him behind while we do our own thing. When we do, He "steps aside" and allows us to "do it on our own"- like I did to my granddaughter. I had not left her; I was still there watching over her. Our Heavenly Father never leaves us, He is always watching over us, but we can distance ourselves from Him. Once we realize that we are a little too "far" from Him what we need to do is the same thing my granddaughter did-- call on His name, turn around and head back in the direction where we last "saw" Him. In the same way that I stepped forward to embrace her, He will step forward then and embrace us-- "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."
 
Have you distanced yourself from Him? Are you running ahead of Him? Are you neglecting Him? Are you doing your own thing and leaving Him behind? Then turn around and go back to the place you last saw Him and was aware of His presence. Sometimes it is a sin that we have committed that places distance between us and Him. If so, turn and go back to that place through confession and repentance. Get "reunited" with Him and then start walking together, side by side.
 
Have a great day. If you are distancing yourself from God, turn around and go back to the place where you left Him. 
 
For further reading:
Hebrews 13:5
1 John 1:9
 

No comments: