Tuesday, April 26, 2022

"Dark Paths"

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

When my mother-in-law was still alive, she lived next door to us, so we would often walk when we would go to see her. Sometimes it would get dark before we left her house. We have no streetlights, only the light of the moon when it isn't hidden behind the clouds. So, when was dark, it was really dark. As many times as I had walked that path from my house to hers, I always preferred not to walk it in the dark. Why? Because, even though it was a familiar path to me, I never knew if there were new obstacles that are there. And when it got dark, I could lose my bearings and get off the path.

We all walk through "places" in our lives- you know what I mean. Same are strange to us- we have never been down them before. Some are familiar- we have been down them often. But whether it is a new place or a familiar place, each place is different. Even familiar places are cloaked in darkness sometimes. And each place needs the guidance of God's word to help us navigate safely and wisely through them.

We can't trust our ability or familiarity to get us through any path of life. The path is always changing, new obstacles are continually appearing, new pits are being dug by the enemy, we can easily lose our sense of direction. But God's word will always keep us going in the right direction, will always reveal pit-falls, will always make the way in front of us as clear as if we were walking in the light of the noon day sun.

Have a great day. It doesn't matter how familiar a path of life looks, or how many times we have walked down it, we still need God's word to guide us through it.

For further reading:
Psalm 119:130; 33:4
Proverbs 6:23
1 John 1:5

No comments: