Wednesday, October 30, 2019

"Which Words?"

"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1
 
I doubt that most of us could say that we apply this verse to our lives regularly, much less continually... "His praise shall continually be in my mouth." If we would be honest it probably is more like this: "His praise should continually be in my mouth, but it isn't."
 
If His praise isn't what is in your mouth, then what is?  Is murmuring and complaining in your mouth?  Is fear, doubt and unbelief what occupies your mouth?  Do words of negativity take up residence in your mouth? Are your words words of encouragement, edification, hope, life, victory?  Or are they words of discouragement, criticism, gossip, destruction, hopelessness, death, and defeat?

The Bible has a lot to say about our words.  It says that death and life are in the power of the tongue (words).  It tells us that a soft answer (words) will turn away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger. It tells us that our words will either justify us or condemn us. It also tells us that we should be swift to hear and slow to speak. It even warns us that we cannot speak blessings and cursing out of the same mouth.

When it comes to the words we speak, the verse we should live by and practice is, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:14) How do we know if they are acceptable?  One sure way is by going back to the opening verse... put His praise continually in your mouth.  Then your words will be pleasing and acceptable to the Lord. 

Have a great day.  What words are in your mouth?  What words should be in your mouth?   

Proverbs 15:1; 18:21
James 3:10; 1:19
Matthew 12:37

No comments: