Friday, February 12, 2010

"Focus First"

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33

It's snowing here this morning. Up until this year, we rarely ever see snow- sometimes it doesn't snow for years. So, I am like a little kid this morning- I went to almost every window in the house to look out and see the transformation of the landscape. I keep catching myself wanting to look at it over and over again. I am having to discipline myself to sit down and send out the devotional instead of watching the snow fall. This brings me to our word this morning.

I felt like the Lord wants to remind us to "stay focused". Don't allow distractions to turn you away from the "task" that is at hand. Those distractions may not be something bad or evil. They may not be something that is sinful. But don't focus on them for too long or they will pull you away from that which really matters.

Most people do that where their salvation is concerned. They are so focused on "life" that they miss the thing that is most important in their lives- making sure they are right with God. They spend all their time, days and years focusing on their careers, education, entertainment, pleasure and a long list of other things that they have neglected the thing that truly counts in the end.

Am I saying that these things are wrong? Is it wrong for me to sit here looking out my window watching the snow fall? Not necessarily. But what I am saying is that we need to take care of "first things first". We should not consume our lives with so many other things that we don't take care of the most important thing. Take care of your soul, take care of your relationship with the Lord, take care of eternal matters first. Make sure that this is your primary focus.

Have a great day. It is not a question of whether what you are focusing on is good or bad, the question is, "Are you focusing on the most important things first and more?".

For further reading:
Matthew 23:23; 13:22
Luke 9:51

No comments: