Thursday, June 20, 2019

"Door To Door"

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15

About forty years ago I was an Avon representative. Back then you went door to door selling the product. I can remember each day heading out on my route to knock on doors of people who were perfect strangers, greeting them, telling them who I was and what I had to sell. I haven't thought about that in a long time until yesterday. As I was reminiscing I began to put it in a spiritual context and it made me wonder--- why is it easy for us to talk to people we have never laid eyes on before and try to sell them something in order to make money, yet have a hard time telling strangers, acquaintances, friends and family about Jesus. Why is it so hard to share the gospel- the only truly good news- with them when we will share everything else. We have something to offer this world that is better than a product that will make them look a little younger, make them smell better, help improve their life, make them feel better, etc. What we have to offer will give them eternal life, escape from eternal torment, abundant life now and put them in right relationship with a Holy God.

These ladies that became my customers looked forward to my coming and were always glad to see me. They could hardly wait to see what I had to offer, see what was on sale, order something they were out of or just visit. May I tell you that there are a whole lot of people out there that are waiting for someone to share the good news of the gospel with them. They are looking for someone who will show them what they need and point them in the right direction. They are hurting needing help. They are in pain needing comfort. They are in confusion needing the truth. Sure you have those who don't want to hear and those who will reject, but there are many who do want to know. I can remember being excited about even one order. When sharing the gospel, we should rejoice when even one person will listen and turn to Christ.

Not everyone bought something each time I went. They may go for a few months without making a purchase, but I didn't quit going. I kept going each month and finally those who did not buy before did that month. Those you witness to may not receive Christ the first time you go, or the second time you witness to them, but if we persevere God will give the increase.

Have a great day. Go and share the gospel.. we go and share everything else with them... even if they are strangers.

No comments: