Wednesday, May 8, 2019

"He Called"

"And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again." 1 Samuel 3:6

This morning the Lord woke me up quiet a bit earlier than usual. I laid there and prayed, and prayed in the Spirit, and offered up praise and did some meditating, but I felt like something was "missing"- I had not touched His "hem", felt the joy of His presence or felt as if I had accomplished anything in prayer. Then it "dawned" on me-- He called me. He woke me up. That meant that there was something He wanted to say, not that He was necessarily waking me up so that I could talk to Him, but that He wanted to talk to me.

When a friend calls me on the phone, it's because they have something they want to say to me or ask me. They initiated the call so they could tell me something, not just because they wanted to hear the sound of my voice. We tend to think that when God wakes us up it is so that we can pray, and that it is all about us doing all the talking and making our requests. Yes, that is part of it, but sometimes it's because He wants to start the conversation. As was the case with Samuel. God woke Samuel up so that HE could say something to Samuel, not vice versa.  After God spoke, Samuel responded. 

I learned a lesson this morning. From now on, when the Lord wakes me up, instead of immediately going into prayer and praise, the first thing I will do is ask Him what He wants; why He called; is there something He wants to say before I pray.  Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. Otherwise, I might miss something that He is wanting to say to me-- after all, He called me.

Have a great day. He called me, He woke me up for a reason, is it because He has something He wants to say to me?

No comments: