Wednesday, April 13, 2016

"Perfect Change"

"The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands".  Psalm 138:8

In this verse it says that the Lord will perfect that which concerns us.  I used to focus on the "perfecting" part of the verse.  I need Him to "perfect" me because I am a long way from being perfect.  I have my faults-- which are many.  I make mistakes.  I do things that I wish I didn't and don't do things that I know I should.  I don't always like me or what I do.  I would love to be different and do differently in many areas of my life.  I would like some things to change in my life.  I am sure that I am not the only one who ever feels this way.

We all wish we were different at times.  We all wish that there were some things about us that we can change.  So the promise of "perfecting" sounds good.  There is a problem though that gets in our way-- when we focus so much on what is wrong with us we try to "fix" it ourselves.  We try to make ourselves different.  We try to change ourselves.  We try to turn over a new leaf.  We try to do better.  Only to fail in our attempts.  We try really hard but find ourselves in the same old place-- the same attitude, the same feelings, the same shortcomings, etc.

How do we change what is wrong about ourselves?  How do we make any progress in that area?  We change our focus.  Instead of dwelling on the "perfecting" part of the verse, we focus on "the Lord" part of it.  He is the only one who can bring true and lasting change in our lives.  He was the only one who could change us from being sinners to saved people.  He was the only one who could change us from dark to light.  He was the only one who could make us a new creation.  He is the only one who can "perfect" us. 

As we look to Him, as we seek Him, as we allow Him to change us, as we cooperate with what He wants to do in our lives, the change will come.  After all, He is in the transformation business.  He never leaves us like He found us.  He never makes us just better.  He makes us new.

Stop being obsessed with changing yourself.  Place your attention, thoughts and affections on the Lord and while you are doing that He will be changing you and you may not even notice it until the change has come. 

Have a great day.  Don't struggle trying to change yourself and make yourself perfect.  Focus on the Lord and as you do He will bring about the change in you.     

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:

No comments: