Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"It Makes Me Happy"

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2

My little granddaughter was with me the other evening. We were watching television and as I was flipping through the channels, the "Passion of the Christ" was on. She said that she wanted to watch it. The movie was already at the point where Jesus was being beaten in Pilate's judgment hall. So we watched it and talked about what was happening to Jesus. Of course, I started crying as I watched. My granddaughter tried to comfort me, "Don't cry, Nana". I explained to her that I was crying because of the terrible things they were doing to Jesus and how it made me very sad. She then replied back to me, "It makes me happy". (Out of the mouths of babes!)

There was a lot of wisdom in the words she spoke. They convicted my heart and took me out of my emotions back to truth. I had to stop and regroup for a moment then responded back to her, "I am happy too". I am happy that Jesus went through the shame and pain of the cross. I am happy because had He not, I would be eternally lost without any hope of eternal life. So, I rejoice in the cross and give thanks that He took the chastisement of my sins in His body. The sadness I had as I watched was the fact that He had to suffer so much pain and such a horrific chastening.

Her four little words reminded me that there are two sides to the cross-- a side of sadness and a side of joy. My focus should not remain on the sad side- the pain and suffering that Jesus had to endure because of my sins. The joy that it gave me access to God, the joy that the victory has been won over sin and death, the joy of knowing that I can have forgiveness of my sins, the joy of receiving eternal life, should swallow up the sadness- it did for Jesus. The joy of knowing that through His sacrifice we could now be partakers of eternal life and live with Him throughout eternity swallowed up the pain and the suffering of the cross.

Have a great day. While I am sad that my Savior had to endure sure horrible treatment for my sins, I am happy that He did it so that I could have eternal life.

For further reading:
Hebrews 12:3
Isaiah 53

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org
You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: