Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Driving In Reverse"

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14

About a year ago I had a dream that I want to share with you this morning. I dreamed that I was in a truck. The truck represented God's plan for my life. It wasn't an ordinary pickup truck, and it wasn't a transfer truck. It was more like the size of the delivery trucks that are used by a hardware store to deliver building supplies. I was not the driver of the truck, I was the passenger. The driver was a very popular television interior designer who has her own program on the home and garden network. You would have thought that since the truck represented God's plan for my life, I would have been the driver, but I wasn't. She was driving, and the really odd thing about it was that she was driving the truck in reverse. She was not driving forward, we were going in reverse down the road all the while having pleasant, casual conversation.

I want to share the meaning now of that dream. During the time when I had it, I have to admit that I was watching a good bit of television. I wasn't watching anything "bad"-- I was watching the home and garden network. I was sitting there for hours sometime watching the designer who was in my dream, and others, makeover rooms and houses. That was the reason the Lord gave me the dream-- He wanted to tell me something. That something was--- I was letting that particular thing take me away from Him. I was letting it "drive" my life and by doing so, I wasn't going forward. Sitting there watching these programs were not bringing me closer to Him, they weren't building my spirit, they weren't helping me develop the ability to discern His voice. In fact, they were actually taking me "away" (in reverse) from Him and fulfilling His call on my life. By spending the majority of my time mindlessly watching those programs, I was letting them influence and control my life. It was keeping me from "pressing forward" in His word and in prayer.

The reason why it was that familiar designer doing the driving in my dream was because He was showing me specifically the area that needed to change. I had to make a choice, was I going to let this "feeding of my flesh" "drive my life"-- which was driving it reverse-- or was I going to get back in the driver seat and go forward. Was I going to let someone, or something, else drive my life? Or was I going to be led by the Spirit and go in the direction that He wants to lead me?

I am not saying that we can't watch a little television from time to time. That wasn't the point. The point was that I was watching too much (even of a good thing) and it was keeping me from going forward with the Lord-- it doesn't have to be television, it can be something else. It was driving my life instead of Him. Is something besides the Lord driving your life? Are you a passenger in your own life? It is one thing to be the passenger when the Lord is the driver, but it is another when outside things, when the lust of your flesh, when the lust of your eyes or the pride of life is doing the driving. When they are, you will continue to go in reverse and by going in reverse, you will never reach God's intended destination for you.

Have a great day. Are you letting someone else be the driver of your life? If so, you are going in reverse.

For further reading:
Hebrews 12:1
Exodus 20:3
1 John 5:21; 2:15-17

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: