Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Out of the Pit"

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings." Psalm 40:2

The scripture above is another one of my favorite ones (among many) because it is my testimony. Like the old hymn says, "I was sinking deep in sin far from the peaceful shore. Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more. But the Master of the sea heard my despairing cry, from the waters lifted me now save am I."

I was in a deep dark pit of sin, sinking deeper and deeper, dying more and more daily, unable to rescue and save myself. But then Jesus came along and threw down a blood stained rope and lifted me up out of the pit of sin that I was sinking in. Not only did He rescue me and pull me out, but He then set my feet upon a sure and solid foundation and gave me freedom so that I can walk on a path of light and life.

I am well aware of the pit that I once lived in before He rescued me and gave me life, hope and a future. It was a pit of death, but now I have been brought into life outside of the pit- salvation through Jesus Christ. He delivered me initially from the pit at salvation, but after salvation as I walk through life there are other "pits" that are out there that desire to make me their prisoner.

There is the pit of despair. The pit of fear and discouragement. There are the pits of grief, confusion, frustration, distractions and many more. When the doctor gives you a bad report, when you lose your job, when your spouse has been unfaithful, when your children become rebellious, there are pits of fear and anxiety awaiting you. They are so close that you can find yourself teetering on the edge. It is so easy to fall into the pit of we aren't aware of it. But the good news is that He still delivers from the pit.

Perhaps you are in a pit of despair this morning. Perhaps it is a pit of hopelessness. Whatever the pit may be, Jesus still delivers from the pit. This morning He is throwing you a life line out of the pit. He is reaching down to pull you out. But you have a choice. Are you going to stay in that pit or reach up and take hold of His strong right arm and be lifted out?

Have a great day. Life is full of pits, but Jesus still delivers us out of them.

For further reading:
Psalm 94:18; 30:3; 35:7; 69:15; 103:4
Job 33:29,30

No comments: