Friday, June 18, 2010

"Rejoicing Faith"

"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Did you notice that in this verse there is no provision made to do anything other than rejoice each day? There isn't a footnote tagged on it, there wasn't a "with the exception of" clause added to it, there wasn't allowance or room made to do otherwise. The verse doesn't tell us to rejoice as long as everything is going well; or as long as things are going the way we planned or hoped; as long as nothing bad happens today; as long as no problems arise. It just says, "I will rejoice and be glad".

Is the verse telling us that we won't experience bad things, difficulties, pain or grief? Does it mean that we won't get bad reports, or find ourselves in battles under the attack of the enemy? No, it doesn't. Because the scriptures teach us otherwise. They teach that bad things and tribulations come to the just and unjust and the righteous face afflictions. Why then didn't the verse make allowances to be sad, downcast and complaining during the bad times? Simply because-- the just shall live by faith.

We walk by faith not by sight. What we see, what we hear and what we feel isn't the "final authority". I may lose my job, for example, but am I going to stop rejoicing and get worried, sad, depressed and fearful? No. Why? Because that wasn't a bad thing that happened to me? No, but because the just live by faith. Faith in God who is my provider. Faith that He will meet and supply all my need. Faith that if God feeds the sparrows and clothes the lilies daily, He will certainly take care of me because I am of much more value to Him than a sparrow. I live by faith, which means that I know that somehow, some way, the Lord will work all things together for my good. I live by faith which means I have the confident assurance that He will never leave me nor forsake me but will be with me always- He is not a "fair weather" friend who leaves me when the going gets tough.

There was no provision made in the verse above because there has already been a provision made that will keep your head up and joy in your heart when things aren't always "well". That provision is faith. Absolute trust, confidence and dependency on God. The situations that we face don't change God. He is still the same loving, caring Heavenly Father and provider that He has always been. Therefore, I can rejoice in that unchanging knowledge even in changing situations.

Have a great day. There is no provision made for us to be cast down when bad times come because we live by faith all the time.

For further reading:
Psalm 34:19
Matthew 5:45; 6:25-29
Habakkuk 2:4
Romans 1:17; 8:28
Galatians 3:11
Hebrews 10:38; 13:5
Philippians 4:19

No comments: