Friday, October 30, 2009

"The Weekend"

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41

A thought came to me a few minutes ago- today is Friday, so the weekend is here, most people love to "take the weekend off". They take if off from work. They take it off from the usual routine. They take if off and like to get away and enjoy some sort of relaxation or entertainment. The weekend for most is unlike the rest of their week.

The thought that came to me was this- some people also think you can take the weekend off from being a Christian. They look at the weekend as "their time". They have worked hard all week and deserve to just "kick back" and do what they want to do. This kind of thinking where your spiritual life is concerned is deadly.

Christianity is about who we are, not what we do. What we do is a reflection of who we are. I am a wife, can I just "take off" from being a wife today? I am a mother, can I "take off" there? I am a female, is that something that I can "take off" from being for a day or two? Neither is my relationship with the Lord something that I can "take off" from either.

My walk with the Lord has to be incorporated in all I do and every where I go. If I can't take it into the places I plan to go, then I should not go. If I do something that tries to detach me from it, I shouldn't do that. My relationship with the Lord is more important than "rest and relaxation". It's more important than fulfilling my desires. And regardless of which day of the week it is, my thoughts first and foremost needs to consider whether what I do and where I go is something that will put my spiritual life in jeopardy... and if it does, then I need to rethink my plans.

Have a great day. You can't take a day or weekend off from being a Christian.

For further reading:
Psalm 31:23
Mark 12:30
Proverbs 8:34
Acts 2:46; 5:42
1 Corinthians 10:13
2 Timothy 2:22

No comments: