Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Where's Your Bible?"

"Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart." 2 Corinthians 3:3

I carry a Bible around with me everywhere I go. I have them in my home and I keep one in my vehicle all the time. For a long time I even carried a pocket size one in my purse. I always want to have the scriptures "at hand" and near. But there is another place we should carry our Bibles that is more important than carrying them around physically. We should carry them in our hearts. We should have it hidden in our hearts so that if we can't get to a Bible, we still have God's word with us.

Not only should we carry His word around inside of us, but we should be "living Bibles" read by all men. Others should be able to "read" the Bible through us- through our lives, through our conduct, through our character, through our responses, our attitudes and so on. Question- are they reading His word through your life? Are you living according to its commands? Are you conducting your affairs in a manner that is instructed through its teachings? Are your dealings and treatment of others lining up with its precepts?

Some people like to "carry" their Bibles around for show. To them it's some sort of religious "status symbol"- they think it makes them look "spiritual". The truly spiritual person is the one who is being transformed by its words and looking more and more like its Author every day. Which group describes you?

Have a great day. Do you just carry your Bible around physically or do you carry it around in your heart?

No comments: