Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Error Messages"

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Have you ever been working on a project on the computer then all of a sudden, for seemingly no reason and without warning, an "error" message pops up? I have to be honest, I really don't like them. They either put my work on hold, or they hinder me or they make the project take twice as long. Sometimes they make me have to change my plan or they cause me to have to stop what I am doing altogether.

As I was thinking about these "error messages", it occurred to me that God's word is in a sense and in some ways an "error message". I can be going about the business of life and all of a sudden God's word "pops up" to me. It is letting me know that I am going in the wrong direction, that I need to change my course, I need to turn, I need to do something else, etc. While I don't like the "error messages" my computer sends me, I am so thankful for the "error messages" that God's word sends me.

Often, my plans need to be interrupted. The direction I am pursuing may need to change. We need the messages that God's word is giving us to keep us on the right track, to send us in the right direction, to keep us from sin, to turn us from the snare that the enemy has laid to destroy us, to keep us from falling, etc.

When God sends you an "error message" through His word, heed it- it's a warning to you. Don't keep trying to go forward. Don't continue to pursue what you are doing. Pay attention to it and be a doer of it.

Have a great day. Thank God today for His word that lets you know when there is something wrong.

No comments: