Monday, October 13, 2008

"For The First Time"

"And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight." Mark 10:51

Daily I thank the Lord for waking me up with all five senses, with a healthy body and a sound mind. I like to walk and pray when the weather permits. The other morning as I was walking and talking with the Lord, and thanking Him for the things I have already mentioned above, suddenly I became so overwhelmed with the fact that I had my five senses. As I was thanking Him for my hearing, it was as if I had been deaf and was hearing sound for the first time. I could hear the birds, the traffic on the road, I could hear a saw running in the distance, I could hear a dog barking, even the crickets chirping. The same thing happened when I began to thank the Lord for my eyesight. It was as if I had never seen before. I could see the leaves on the trees, the rocks on the ground, the squirrels running across the yard, and not only that but I was in my right mind and could identify color, I knew the trees were tall, the rocks felt hard, the flowers smelled sweet.

Like I said, I thank God for these "gifts" daily, but I often wonder if we don't take so much for granted. Even "small" things, even "common" things, even "natural" things. I was glad for the experience that I was having the other morning. It gave me a brand new appreciation for the physical blessings I have that I should take more notice of.

If I were blind, or deaf, or could not recall my own daughter's name, or did not recognize my husband, if I had woke up in a mental institution this morning, or had a chronic illness in my body, I certainly would miss these blessings. So I don't want to neglect to be thankful for them while I have them. I think it would do us all good to look at the blessings we have in our lives- whether they are physical, spiritual or in the area of relationships- as if we were looking at them for the first time, and in light of how it would be if we didn't have them. Perhaps we would live with more gratitude and less complaining.

Have a great day. Look at your world today as if you were seeing, hearing, feeling it for the first time after not being able to. Would you see it differently?

No comments: