Monday, February 18, 2008

"Fine Tuned"

"And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth." 1 Samuel 3:10

Tonight I had the joy of having my new little grandbaby spend the night with us. I put the cradle my daughter slept in when she was a baby beside my bed so I could have her close to me. After not having a baby in the house for over twenty years, I wondered if I would hear her when she woke up ready for her bottle. There was nothing to wonder about-- I heard every grunt, every coo, every sigh, every breath she took, every wiggle she made. Even in my sleep my ears were keenly aware of her presence, and my eyes popped open at every sound she made.

This is how we should be with the Lord. Our "ears" should be fine tuned to every "sound" He makes-- each command, each prodding of the Spirit, each word He speaks, every conviction. We need to be listening for His voice. It was important to my granddaughter's well being that I hear her when she cry. How much more important is it that we are attuned to the Father's voice when He calls.

Often He is speaking and we don't realize that it is Him. This happened with Samuel. He wasn't accustomed to having God speak to him so he wasn't familiar with his voice at first. But throughout the rest of Samuel's life we see that he had learned the voice of the Lord and was fine tuned to what He said. As we spend more time listening to the Lord through reading His word, by communing with His Spirit, by spending quiet time in His presence, our spiritual sense of "hearing" will become more discerning of the Lord's voice and we will recognize it more readily when He speaks-- even if we are asleep. Samuel did.

Have a great day. We need to get fine tuned to hear and know the voice of the Lord.

No comments: