Wednesday, November 6, 2019

"Stay By The Fire"

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."  Revelation 3:16

In the winter time if the power goes off my house gets really cold.  My house is all electric with the exception of a wood burning insert.  That insert is our only source of heat.  In order not to freeze we have to keep a fire going in it all the time.  Standing beside the fire keeps us nice and warm but once you move away from it or go to another part of the house you begin to feel the cold. 

Spiritually speaking we can become cold.  We will become indifferent, compromising, unloving, rude, critical, have no joy, fearful and faithless when we get "cold".  The cure for that is to stay close to the fire.  You have to stay close to the source of heat.  That source is not some natural fire-- like wood or gas.  It is the Presence of God.  In the Bible He is symbolized by fire.  He was in the fire with the three Hebrews.  He was the voice in the burning bush.  He sent a chariot of fire to catch up Elijah. The Lord was a pillar of fire in the wilderness for the Israelites. He answered by fire at Mt. Carmel. The sacrifices were burnt with fire. He will baptize His people with the Holy Ghost and fire.  Fire is used figuratively of God's glory, His power, His protection and His holiness. He is also called a consuming fire. 

When I get cold naturally, I start looking for a source of heat that I can get close to and warm up.  Once I find it, it isn't long before the heat removes the coldness.  When I get cold spiritually, I have to get to the source of spiritual heat so I can get warm, hot and "on fire" again.  This source is not one that is hard to find.  Like I said earlier, it is the Presence of God.  He will make Himself available and easy to access.  All we have to do is draw near to Him.... and stay near Him.  

Do you feel yourself getting cold?  Then check and see if you have moved away from the fire.  Has your prayer time become less and less?  Are you reading the Bible?  Meditating on the Word?  Spending time in worship?  Giving God praise?  Then you have moved away from the fire and are feeling the effects of the cold.  Get back to the fire!!!

Have a great day.  When you start getting cold spiritually, it's because you have moved away from the fire.

No comments: