Tuesday, October 22, 2019

"Not A Captive"

"We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof. For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion." Psalm 137:2,3

I went through a period of time years ago when I felt like I had lost my joy, my song, my victory and my fight. The verse above was my "theme song"- I had hung my harp upon a willow tree. Each time I thought I could take it off and pick it back up, I was "hit" again with the same discouragement that kept me in defeat.

One day a friend shared something that the Lord had shown her from the verses above. She said that the enemy would taunt Israel while they were in captivity to sing them the songs of their homeland knowing they would not because of their physical condition/location. Then she related what was happening to them on a spiritual level. The enemy tries to make us feel like captives then he taunts and mocks us to sing a "song"- to rejoice, to testify, to sing praises- but we allow the situation to make us feel like captives so we don't. She went on to say that we are not captives; we have been set free. Jesus set us free. He destroyed the works of the enemy that he uses against us. We are not in bondage, the chains have been broken, the prison door opened, we have no reason to hang our harps, our heads or our hands down. We are free.

Once she said that my eyes were opened, I received the truth of God's word and regained my "fight", my song, my joy and my victory! And anytime the enemy has come to attack and try to make me lay my harp down and take away my joy, he can't do it. My situation may not be the best. Conditions around me may look like captivity. It may look like defeat and not victory. It may not look like I am winning, but I am a winner. I am more than a conqueror. I am victorious and not a captive because Jesus already got the victory on my behalf. He broke the bonds of prison for me. I am not defeated, the devil is!

Don't listen to the lies of the enemy. He tries to make you think that you are a captive, that you are defeated, that you have lost, that you will never win, that you have no reason to sing, but it's all lies. Jesus defeated him and his works and he can no longer take us captive. He who the Son sets free is free indeed. Jesus didn't give us a partial freedom, He didn't give us temporary freedom, He didn't open the prison door just a little, He didn't destroy only a portion of the enemy's power-- He did it all and when He did it... it was finished!!! So pick up your harp and start singing and rejoicing, you are not a captive!!!

Have a great day. You have no reason to hang your harp on a willow tree or lay it down, you are not a prisoner... Jesus freed you!

For Further Reading:
John 8:36
Romans 8:37-39
Colossians 2:15,16
Psalm 98:1
1 John 3:8

No comments: