Tuesday, June 24, 2014

"Dysfunctional"

"From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love." Ephesians 4:16
 
A few months ago some of you may remember that I wrote a devotional about me pulling my back. After all these weeks I have finally discovered what happened. It seems as though I pulled my SI Joint out of place. If my understanding is correct it is called SI Joint Dysfunction. For the past nine weeks I have suffered terrible pain in my lower back, my leg muscles and my sciatic nerve-- all because this joint was "out of place".
 
When something is out of place from where it should be, it is not doing what it was designed to do. This is called dysfunctional. A dysfunction from not being in its proper place can cause many other problems to arise and even cause suffering. This is true in the church. When God calls you to be one thing and you are operating in another area, you are out of place. For example, you may be called to be an evangelist but you are trying to operate as a pastor, so you are out of place. You may be called to be a Psalmist but are trying to operate as a teacher you also are out of place. When one member is out of place, this is a dysfunction which will cause suffering in the church. 
 
This is also true in our individual lives. If you are called to one area of ministry but you are trying to operate in another area, your life is out of order. If you are living with sin in your life, your life is out of order. If you are living in opposition to the commandments of God, if you are not living a holy lifestyle, if you are living in adultery or with some addiction, then you are out of order. If you are living in hate and bitterness, you are living a life out of order-- you are not fulfilling what you were designed to fulfill. You are not living as you are called to live. You are "spiritually" dysfunctional. 
 
The interesting thing about what has been going on in my body with this joint out of place was that I was still doing all the things I needed to do-- working at the shop, cooking, cleaning, keeping my grandchildren, etc. Most people who know me didn't even know I had this dysfunction because I was still "functioning". Only I was functioning with pain, suffering and misery the whole time I was doing it. Often we are "out of order" not functioning where and as God wants us to and it is not noticed because we are still "prospering", still "functioning", still going on with the business of life, still seeing some "good" results. But it is only a matter of time before this is not the case. A dysfunction will eventually catch up with you. You will eventually reap the consequences of being "out of place". You can't continue like that forever.
 
Are you "out of order"? Out of the place the Lord designed you to fit into? Doing what He has not intended you to do? Not functioning as He planned for you to function? Then you are in a place of dysfunction and eventually it will cause suffering to you and to those you are connected with.
 
Have a great day. Are you living a dysfunctional life? Out of God's order for your life?
 
For further reading:
1 Corinthians 12:18, 26
 
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email:
mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org
You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: