Friday, September 25, 2009

"Be It Unto Me- Part 3"

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

So many people come to Christ, or make a profession of faith in Him, based on the assumption that when they do their life is going to be perfect from then on. They think that they aren't going to have any more problems. They come so that they can receive the blessings, prosperity and good things that they are told about. They come thinking He is some sort of "Santa Claus" that will give them their every wish or grant their every desire. It doesn't take them long to discover that this is not the way it is.

Jesus never promised us "easy". On the contrary we were promised afflictions, suffering for His name's sake, a cross, tribulation. It's a life of self denial and self sacrifice. It's a life that gives up its rights to follow another. I involves persecution, rejection, obedience.

We don't come to Christ hoping to have a life of ease and deliverance from all our problems. We come to Christ because we are sinners in need of a Savior. Without a Savior we are lost. Without a Savior we will receive the wages of sin which is death. We come to Christ because He is the Savior, the only one who can take away our sins. We come to Him because He is the only one who can reconcile us to the Father and put away the enmity that is between us. He is the only one who can cause the Father to accept us, and that came through His shed blood at the cross.

If we come to Him for the right reason- which is, I am a sinner who needs a Savior and He is the only one who can take away my sins- then so what if my life is not one of ease. So what if following Him doesn't lead me to a feathery bed of comfort. So what if trials come my way. That is not my focus. My focus is the end result. The end result of my life will be that I have eternal life. So whatever I may have to endure for Christ will be worth it because of the joy of knowing that when I leave this earth I will forever be with the Lord. It's like the old hymn says, "It will be worth it all when we see Jesus. Life's trials will seem so small when we see Christ. One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrow will erase. So bravely run the race, 'til we see Christ."

Have a great day. Following Christ often leads to suffering, but the end result is eternal life.

For further reading:
Ephesians 2:16
Pslam 34:19
Matthew 10:24,25
John 16:33
Matthew 16:24
Romans 6:23

No comments: