Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Reward"

"Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." Matthew 5:12

In context this scripture is talking about being persecuted for Christ's sake and what our response should be to that persecution and why we should respond not with "evil" but with rejoicing. But I want to "step outside of the context" this morning, without adding to or taking away from the scripture. We need to remind ourselves daily that regardless of what happens here in this life, this is not all there is. This life is temporary and there is a reward that awaits those who have put their faith and trust in Christ on the other side of it. Therefore, we have every reason to rejoice.

When I face disappointing situations, I need to remember, I have a great reward in heaven awaiting me. That knowledge will turn those disappointments into rejoicing. When I am down cast, I do the same, think about what awaits me and my heart if filled with joy. When life seems unbearable, I need to refocus and look past this temporary to the eternal- my hope is then renewed. When it seems as though this trial will never come to an end, look toward the "end"- the end of this life and the beginning of the new in heaven.

This life with all it's problems, heartaches and trials will not last forever, there is something more wonderful than we can imagine that awaits us. There are rewards, treasures and riches laid up for us in heaven- the greatest reward is ultimately to see our wonderful Savior Jesus and spend eternity with Him in His house. When you think about that, and place that thought above what is happening to you here at the present, even the difficulties pale in comparison and you can't help but rejoice.

Have a great day. Remember today that you have a great reward in heaven... this life is not all there is... so rejoice!

No comments: