Friday, August 16, 2019

"Camouflaged"

"Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices." 2 Corinthians 2:11

A while back my husband killed a copperhead snake in our yard. He showed it to me and told me to be very cautious around the yard and pay attention to my surroundings. These snakes are small, very well camouflaged and very poisonous. Last night I dreamed that I was in our garden. I was picking the squash and as I was pulling back the leaves to get to them, there he was- a copperhead snake. He was well hid. The way he was coiled caused him to look like several dead leaves laying beside the plant. If my husband had not showed me what they look like and told me to be cautious and careful, I never would have seen him. And of course it could have been fatal for me. In my dream I was glad that I had heeded my husband's warning.

We have an adversary who is out to destroy us. He doesn't always come right out in the open plainly visible. He lies in wait to attack us under a camouflaged covering. He came to Eve in the form of a serpent, but the Bible says that he also comes as an angel of light. In the appearance of an angel of light he often blends right into "religious" surroundings. It is often hard to distinguish him from the real. This is why we need to know what he "looks like". This is why we need to know his characteristics. This is why we need to know what type of tactics he uses in his pursuit to destroy us.

My husband showed me what this snake looked like, he told me what their habits are, he told me what type of areas that they like to stay in, he told me which places to be especially careful in because this snake could easily hide in them and not be spotted. The word of God does for us what my husband did for me. It reveals the devil's real character. It tells us how to detect him. It tells us what to look for and look out for. It exposes him so that he becomes more visible and unable to deceive us. Take heed to God's word concerning your adversary. Don't think that you can't be deceived. Don't think that you'll always be able to easily spot him. He is there and he lies in wait to give you a deadly "bite". But the word of God will keep you safe if you'll listen to it and pay attention to its warnings.

Have a great day. Our adversary is often very well camouflaged, but God's word shines the light of exposure on him so that he isn't hid any longer.

No comments: