Wednesday, May 31, 2017

"Drifting Or On Course?"

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

Once again the words of an old hymn have been on my mind this morning:  "Without Him I could do nothing.  Without Him I'd surely fail.  Without Him I would be drifting.  Like a ship without a sail."

"Without Jesus I would be drifting like a ship without a sail."  This explains some people's lives.  They never seem to be going anywhere.  They are always spinning their wheels.  They lack direction.  They lack purpose.  They are just drifting through life.  Never doing anything, other than existing. 

The problem is they don't have Jesus to pilot their ship/lives.  Without Jesus we can't get on course.  We will always be just drifting through life.  We will be drifting wherever the wind of feelings, the wind of popular opinion, the wind of adversity, the wind of popularity, the wind of social acceptance, the wind pleasure, the wind of fads, and so on takes us.  The wind controls us.  It "blows" us aimlessly through life.  

Jesus answers the basic questions of life--- who am I? why am I here? what is life all about?  When Jesus takes control of our lives, He gives us direction.  We find our way.  Our lives have meaning.  They have purpose.  There is a plan for them.  Jesus  will speak to the wind that is blowing us here and there and everywhere to be still.  With Jesus in our lives we are no longer at the mercy of the wind to blow us where it will.  He is like the "motor" on the boat that gives it power to get on course and stay on course. 

Have a great day.  Are you drifting through life without direction and purpose?  Then you need Jesus.

"Without Him"
Without Him I could do nothing
Without Him I'd surely fail
Without Him I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

Without Him I would be dying
Without Him I'd be enslaved
Without Him life would be worthless
But with Jesus thank God I'm saved

Oh Jesus, oh Jesus
Do you know Him today
Please don't turn Him away
Oh Jesus, my Jesus
Without Him how lost I would be
Without Him how lost I would be


No comments: