Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Why Not?"

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all." Psalm 34:19

Yesterday we talked about the fact that when something happens in our lives we tend to start asking "why?". The real question though should be "how?". We may never know the "why" but we should always desire the "how"- how can God get glory out of this situation? One of my email friends wrote back and said that she asks, "Why not?" Her reply prompts me to write on this subject this morning.

I think she made a very good point- "Why not, me?" Why don't I think that bad things won't happen to me? Why do I think that just because I am a Christian I am exempt? So many Christians believe and are taught that nothing bad- no trials, no pain, no grief, no heartache, no problems- is ever suppose to happen to them. The scriptures don't back up that way of thinking. Jesus Himself told us that we would have tribulation while we live in this world. The Bible tells us that it "rains" on the just and the unjust.

Just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that you are "exempt". There are consequences to our actions and choices. If we make the right choice we will not suffer the consequences that are attached to them. So in that way, we become "exempt" from facing many additional problems. But there are times when God will allow or even bring to you certain situations that will try you, but each one is planned to work together for your good. Just ask Job- he was a righteous man, yet he suffered. Joseph had a call upon his life, yet he went through a pit, slavery and a prison. Jesus Himself was led by the Spirit into the wilderness for a time of testing.

We are also told in the scriptures not to think that it is strange when some trial comes upon us- it serves a purpose. Therefore, if your question has been, "Why me, how could this happen to me I am a Christian?", you need to change your way of thinking and "step up to the plate" in faith and remind yourself- "why not me?". When you do, it will better equip you to then ask the question "how" and put you in a better position to be able to glorify God, bless others, and let it accomplish its perfect work in you.

Have a great day. The Lord never said that we would be exempt from problems, but when they come they serve a purpose in our lives that will work together for our good and His glory.

For further reading:
James 1:12
Psalms 105:17-19
John 16:33
Matthew 5:45
Job 23:10
James 1:2-4

No comments: